2012-03-03

Working in XSI



Just thought I'd put up some screengrabs of my Softimage | XSI workspace as I animate.
I've got years' worth of customizations in here (mostly written in JScript), a very familiar working environment. One thing I struggle with in Maya is dealing with what seems to be a more limited degree of freedom in terms of workspace customization. It's alright in general, but I struggle in particular with the tiny space allocated for custom commands. As you can see, I occupy an entire computer monitor with custom toolbars within XSI (these are collapsible as well, so I can use the monitor for reference etc. as needed). I also do very much enjoy working in 3D, something I've done for a long time via a custom 3D camera setup that I usually use with all of my cameras. This setup uses the Interest null/locator of the camera to define the focal point for the 3D, and maintains a constant (adjustable) angular displacement based on a custom trigonometric expression. The 3D is simply accomplished via crossing my eyes and focusing. Low tech, and one of the the oldest methods of achieving the effect; but of course it being a volumic environment it is effectively as "true 3D" as any hologram, perceptually. No expensive goggles or screens needed; with just a bit of tinkering anyone can do it with their existing setup.

No comments:

Post a Comment